Kobi Vadi Recipe
Kobi Vadi is a delightful healthy snack made with cabbage and gram flour, that can serve as a tasty appetizer or a meal accompaniment.
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1 cup
- Green chillies - To taste
- Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Cabbage - 4 cups finely chopped
- Oil - 2 tsp to add to the batter and 4 tbsp for seasoning
- Sesame seeds - 3 tsp
- Gram flour (besan) - 3 tsp
- Sodium bicarbonate - A pinch
- Small size mustard seeds (rai) - 1 tbsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dry or Fresh coconut - Grated for garnishing
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - Finely chopped for garnishing
- Take 1 cup of Chana daal and soak it for 4-5 hours.
- Drain excess water.
- Add some green chillies as per taste, 2 tsp cumin seeds, salt to taste and 1 tsp sugar. Grind all this mixture coarsely in a grinder. After grinding, the consistency should be thick. So add water only as needed when grinding.
- Pour the entire batter into a pressure-cooker-separator, lightly lined with oil.
- Add 4 cups of finely chopped cabbage, 2 tsp oil, 3 tsp sesame seeds, 3 tsp gram flour(besan), and a pinch of bicarbonate soda.
- Mix thoroughly and steam in pressure cooker for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the separator from the cooker and let it cool completely.
- Then cut into 2 inch big cubes.
- Flip over the separator to remove all the cut cubes. Cut the cubes into small size cubes, about 1 inch in size.
- In a frying pan, add 4 tbsp oil and heat. Add 1 tbsp 'rai' and wait till they splutter. Now add 1/2 tsp asafoetida(hing), and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Carefully add all cut cubes and mix/toss gently.
- Keep the gas on a low flame and keep turning occasionally for 10-15 minutes, till they start turning golden brownish. Then turn off the gas.
- Garnish with dry/fresh grated coconut and chopped cilantro before serving.