Toor Dal Khichadi Recipe
A traditional khichadi is made with the yellow lentil or moong dal, but toor dal khichadi is a spicier version, that uses split pigeon pea lentil or toor dal. The garlic adds a special taste and its special flavor and makes this toor dal khichadi very delicious. To make it healthier, you can add some vegetables of your choice to it like, green peas, carrots, green pepper, green beans, and so on. Depending on the quantity you are making, you can make this khichadi in a pot that can be later transferred to the pressure cooker, or you can make it directly in a pressure cooker.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Split pigeon peas (Toor / Arhar Dal) - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - one pinch
- Turmeric powder(haldi) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Peanuts - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Dried red chilies - 2-3
- Onion - 1, vertically cut
- Garlic - 2 tbsp chopped
- Tomato - 1
- Salt - To taste
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Potato (or any other vegetable of your choice) - 1, cut into big cubes. (other vegetables- 1/2 cup in all)
- Take 1 cup rice and 1/2 cup toor (arhar) dal and wash thoroughly. Keep aside.
- In a pot (or directly in a pressure cooker), heat 1 tbsp oil, and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Now add one pinch asafoetida(hing), and 1 tsp turmeric powder(haldi). Add 4-5 curry leaves, and 1 & 1/2 tbsp peanuts. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 dried red chilies each cut in 2 pieces, one small sized vertically cut onion, and 2 tbsp chopped garlic.
- Fry for a minute till the garlic becomes brownish.
- Add the pre-washed rice and dal to it.
- Add 3 cups of water. (If a softer khichadi is preferred, little more water can be added).
- Add one tomato cut into cubes, all the potato and any vegetables, salt to taste and 1/4 tsp black pepper powder.
- When the water comes to boil, stir and keep the pot in a pressure cooker(or close the lid of the pressure cooker), and cook till the first whistle.
- Now turn off the heat. Allow the pressure cooker to cool down before opening the lid.
- Serve hot Toor Dal Khichadi, with any kind of pickle.