Adai is a protein rich recipe that is just ideal for a heavy, nutritious and tasty breakfast. As it is made with many different pulses and lentils, I serve it with coriander chutney or tomato chutney instead of any other lentil chutney.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Split black lentils (Urad dal) - 1/2 cup
- Split green lentil (Moong dal) - 1/2 cup
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1/2 cup
- Black eye beans - 1 tbsp
- Whole green moong - 1 tbsp
- Whole masoor - 1 tbsp
- Chick peas - 1 tbsp
- Black chick peas (Kala chana) - 1 tbsp
- Any other whole lentils like rajma, vatana/white chickpeas, moth/matki, etc - 1 tbsp
- 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup urad dal, 1/2 cup moong dal, 1/2 cup chana dal, 1 tbsp each of black eye beans, whole green moong, whole masoor, chick peas, kala chana (you can add any other whole lentils like rajma, vatana/white chickpeas, moth/matki, etc). Soak all the above ingredients in water for 5-6 hours.
- Grind into a coarse batter by adding water as required. Add 1" ginger, 4-5 garlic cloves, 5-6 green chilies, when grinding.
- Add salt to taste. Add 1 finely chopped onion.
- You can add more water to attain a consistency slightly thicker than a dosa batter.
- Pour about 3 tbsp of the batter on a pre heated tawa(griddle) and spread slightly into a circle. Cover with a lid for about 2 minutes on a medium flame, till cooked.
- Now flip and let the other side be done.
- Serve hot Adai, with spicy Coriander chutney.