Kala Masala Recipe (Goda Masala)
Kala masala or Goda Masala is the most common spice used in a large number of recipes from Maharashtra. It is used in making some curries and dry veggies, as well as in making some snacks. It can be prepared well in advance and can be stored in an air tight container to retain its freshness.
For convenience, I have divided the ingredients into two kinds - Essential ingredients and Non-essential ingredients. If both the kinds are used, the best authentic taste is achieved. But based on your liking or availability the non-essential ingredients can be increased or decreased in quantity or can be completely omitted.
- Essential Ingredients :
- Coriander seeds - 500 Grams( 2 cups)
- Cumin Seeds - 200 grams (1 & 1/4 cup)
- Sesame seeds - 1/4 cup
- Coconut - 2 tbsp dry grated
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Bay leaves - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Cloves - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Fenugreek seeds - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Cinnamon stick - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Cardamom - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Turmeric Powder - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Ingredients that can be increased or reduced in quantity or omitted completely based on your liking or availability
- Mustard seeds - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Shahajeera - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Curry leaves - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Black pepper - 5 grams (1/2 tsp)
- Big sized cardamom (Badee ilaychee) - 5 grams (2-3)
- Poppy Seeds - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Nutmeg powder - 10 grams (1 tsp)
- Salt - To taste
- In a pan, dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, and dry coconut separately, till reddish brown in color. As you roast each on eof these, keep transfering all to a mixing bowl.
- To the same pan, add 3 tsp oil, and add the mustard seeds.
- Wait till the mustard seeds crackle, and then reduce the heat to low and add asafoetida, turmeric powder, and curry leaves. Stir a little, till the curry leaves stop sizzling.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, black pepper, big cardamom seeds, shahajeera, poppy seeds, and fenugreek seeds.
- Roast for about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. Allow to cool a little and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Add the red chili powder, salt, nutmeg powder, and cardamom seeds and grind everything to a fine powder. (You may grind a few ingredients at a time, but at the end be sure to grind together atleast once, to blend nicely.)