Sooji Ladoo Recipe
Sooji or Rava ladoo make a delicious snack any time of the day. Little dry on the outside but slightly moist and soft on the inside, these ladoos are just irresistible! They can stay fresh for longer (up to a month) if stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. Do not forget to allow them to return to a room temperature before serving.
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Semolina (Rawa/ Sooji) - 4 cups
- Coconut - 2 cups freshly grated
- Sugar - 3 & 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder - As per liking
- Raisins - about 40
- In a pan, heat 1 & 1/2 cup ghee(clarified butter) and roast 4 cups of Rawa/ Sooji in it till you get a nice aroma and the sooji turns pinkish.
- Add 2 cups freshly grated coconut and roast for again for 3-4 minutes. Pour out the roasted sooji in a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, take 3 & 1/2 cup sugar and add water till it is completely soaked. Bring it to boil. Keep boiling. In about 2-3 minutes, take a small drop of this sugar solution and try stretching it between your thumb and a finger tip. Continue boiling till it stretches into a firm string. When this happens, turn off the gas and add the roasted sooji to it.
- Mix well and keep aside to cool. After every 1/2 hour, keep turning the mixture. It will take at least 2-3 hours for it to become dry.
- Break the lumps and knead with hands till the sooji becomes soft enough to roll into Laddoos .
- Add some cardamom powder and roll into balls (about 1 &1/2" small balls). Stick one raisin on each Laddoo as you roll it.