Sooji Ladoo Recipe
Sooji or Rava ladoo make a delicious snack any time of the day. Little dry on the outside but slightly moist and soft on the inside, these ladoos are just irresistible! They can stay fresh for longer (up to a month) if stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. Do not forget to allow them to return to a room temperature before serving.
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - 3/4th of a cup
- Semolina (Rawa/ Sooji) - 2 cups
- Coconut - 1 cup freshly grated
- Sugar - 1 & 3/4th of a cup
- Cardamom powder - As per liking
- Raisins - about 20
- In a pan, heat ghee(clarified butter) and roast Rawa/ Sooji in it till you get a nice aroma and the sooji turns pinkish.
- Add freshly grated coconut and roast for again for 3-4 minutes. Pour out the roasted sooji in a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, take sugar and add water till it is completely soaked. Bring it to boil. Keep boiling. In about 2-3 minutes, take a small drop of this sugar solution and try stretching it between your thumb and a finger tip. Continue boiling till it stretches into a firm string. When this happens, turn off the gas and add the roasted sooji to it.
- Mix well and keep aside to cool. After every 1/2 hour, keep turning the mixture. It will take at least 2-3 hours for it to become dry.
- Break the lumps and knead with hands till the sooji becomes soft enough to roll into Laddoos .
- Add some cardamom powder and roll into balls (about 1 &1/2" small balls). Stick one raisin on each Laddoo as you roll it.
Some important tips :
- If using fine semolina, remember to boil the sugar solution long enough till you get a firm single string.
- If the sooji-coconut mixture appears to be too moist to roll into round ladoos, then dry roast 1/4 th cup of semolina and add to the mixture. Let the mixture stay for 2-3 hours and then roll into round ladoos.
- If the sooji-coconut mixture becomes very dry and you cannot roll it into ladoos, add 1 or 2 tsp of hot water to the mixture and knead to mix nicely again. You will be able to right away roll it into ladoos.