Ambyachi Dal Recipe
Ambyachi dal (or mango dal)is a yummy recipe that is made with raw mangoes and split chick peas or chana dal, customarily during the 'Chaitra' month (the first month) of the Lunar calendar. This is the season when the mango trees start bearing fruit. 'Ambyachi dal' is most commonly served with Panha, a raw mango drink.
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1 cup
- Green chilies - 5-6
- Sugar - 1 &1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Raw mango - 1 small grated
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Dried red chilies - 2
- Soak 1 cup chana dal in water for 5-6 hours. Drain all the water, and wash thoroughly with water. Add 5-6 green chilies, and grind coarsely in a grinder.
- Add salt to taste, 1 &1/2 tsp sugar, 1 small grated raw mango, and 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander.
- For seasoning, heat 2 tbsp oil and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add 1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida), 8-10 curry leaves, and 2 dried red chilies.
- Let the seasoning cool and then add it to the dal.
- Mix well and serve. This dal is typically prepared during the Chaitra month of the Lunar calendar and is most commonly served with Panha, a raw mango drink.