Besan-Coated Capsicum Recipe
By Uma Abhyankar March 30, 2015
Besan coated capsicum recipe, also called 'peeth perun bhaji' in Marathi, is a dry form of cooking capsicums or green peppers. That makes it ideal to pack with chapati, and enjoy during travel. Try eating with some yogurt for accompaniment.
- Capsicums (Green Peppers) - 2 medium sized
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Gram flour (besan) - 4 tbsp
- Cut 2 medium size capsicums (green pepper) into halves. Remove all the seeds.
- Cut into 1" big square pieces.
- In a pan, heat 4 tsp oil, and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Add all the cut capsicum and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let cook. Stir occasionally and let cook till the capsicum are soft but yet crunchy.
- Add 2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp sugar, and salt to taste. Mix and then sprinkle 4 tbsp gram flour (besan). Mix well.
- Cover and let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with roti/chapati. It can be accompanied with plain white yogurt.