Carrot Paratha Recipe
My mom used to make this Carrot Paratha recipe that I always loved as a child and even today. My kids love it too. It is a completely different way to make any paratha and tastes just awesome. Great way to incorporate healthy carrots in your diet!
- Carrots - 1 kg
- Oil - As needed
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Gram flour (besan) - 2 tbsp
- For dough
- Wheat flour (Ata) - 1 &1/2 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- For the filling: Wash, peel and grate 1 kg carrots, manually or with a food processor.
- In a pan, heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. After they crackle, add 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing), and 1 tsp turmeric powder. Then add the grated carrots.
- Mix well, and add salt and red chili powder to taste.
- Mix, reduce the heat to low, and cover to cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add 2 tbsp gram flour (besan), which serves as a binding for the filling.
- Mix well, reduce the heat to the lowest, and let cook for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off the gas and keep this filling aside to cool.
Dough for cover :
- Take 1 &1/2 cup wheat flour in a kneading bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp oil, and use water to knead into a soft dough (just like a chapati dough).
- Keep the dough aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Take a 2" ball of the dough and roll it into a 5" circle.
- Place about 3 tbsp of the filling and bring up from all sides and close at the top.
- Press to flatten a little.
- Dust with some wheat flour on both sides, and roll into a bigger circle, a few millimeters thick.
- Cook on a heated griddle on both sides, into a golden brown color.
- Spread about 1/2 tsp oil on both sides when cooking.
- Repeat for the remaining dough and the filling.
- Serve hot with butter, yogurt, and pickle.