Chana Masala (Chole) Recipe
Chana Masala is a delicious dish from northern part of India. It can be cooked in many different ways. This recipe is the one that my family has adapted. This dish goes well with all kinds of bread but specially puri or bhatura.
- Chick peas (Kabuli Chana/Chole) - 1 & 1/2 cups
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Ginger - 1
- Garlic cloves - 4 (about 1 tbsp)
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Chole masala or garam masala - 3 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Kasoori Methi ( dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 tsp
- Soak 1 & 1/2 cups chick peas (Kabuli Chana/Chole) in water for 5-6 hours. If you want it quicker, soak in boiling water and cover. Then it will be ready in an hour. You can also used canned chick peas.
- Cook the soaked chick peas in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and then keep on low flame for 1/2 hour. Let the pressure cooker cool down before you take out the chick peas. If using the canned chick peas you may skip this step.
- Now mash a few chick peas slightly with the back of a spoon. This will later help make the gravy thicker.
For Gravy: Grind 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1" ginger, and 4 garlic cloves in a grinder to make a fine paste.
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the gravy to it.
- Add 3 tsp chole masala or garam masala and fry nicely till it turns brownish and oil starts separating from it.
- Add the cooked chick peas and mix well. Add more water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste. Bring to boil and then turn off the gas.
- Serve with chapati, phulka, puri, or rice.