Dal Methi Recipe
This dal methi recipe is one of the two variations of dal methi that uses very less spices, is easy to make, and deliciously healthy. The flavor of garlic gives it that special taste. Enjoy with rice or roti! Please click on the link for Variation II.
- Split pigeon peas (Toor dal / Arhar dal) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek (Methi) leaves - 1 & 1/2 cups chopped
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic cloves - About 4-5 (1 tbsp) chopped
- Dried red chli - 3-4
- Salt - To taste
- Cook one cup toor dal with 1/1/2 cups water, in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Simmer for 5 minutes before turning off. Remove the cooked toor dal from the pressure cooker after the pressure is released. Churn/whisk it with a whisker to make it smooth.
- In a vessel, heat 3 tsp oil, and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 3-4 red chilies, and 1 tbsp garlic cloves chopped in small pieces. Stir fry till the garlic turns pinkish brown.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups finely chopped methi (fenugreek) leaves and mix. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the whisked dal and water as needed, till the desired thickness is attained. I added about 3/4 cup. But you may keep it thicker to eat with chapati.
- Add salt to taste and bring to boil.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.