Green Gram Curry Recipe
Green gram curry is a protein rich curry that goes well with both rice and chapati. Try adding some chopped onion and a few drops of lemon on top, when serving.
- Green gram whole - 1 cup
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Kala Masala / Goda masala - 2 tsp
- Garlic cloves - 2 big
- Green chilies - 2
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Jaggery (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - a bunch finely chopped
- Wash 1 cup green gram and add 1 &1/2 cup water. Cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. After one whistle reduce the gas to low flame for 5 minutes, before turning it off.
- In a cooking pot heat 4 tsp oil, and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. After they splutter, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 1 tsp turmeric powder. Add the cooked gram and add water as desired.
- Add 2 tsp Kala Masala / Goda masala, 2 big garlic cloves and 2 green chilies ground into paste, 1 tsp cumin powder, salt to taste.
- If you like some sweet taste you can add a small piece of jaggery (I added 1 tbsp jaggery).
- Bring to boil.
- Garnish with fresh finely chopped coriander and serve hot with chapati or rice.
- When serving, add a few drops of lemon juice to the serving bowl.