Katachi Amti Recipe
Katachi Amti is a standard accompaniment to the famous Maharashtrian banquet of 'Puran Poli', that cannot be missed. It is made with the watery part left above the chana dal (split chick pea) after it is cooked. This is known as 'kat' in Marathi. Hence, the name 'Katachi Amti'.
- 'Kat' or water left after cooking chana dal (See procedure below) - 2 -2 & 1/2 cups
- Dry Tamarind - 1 inch big piece or 1/2 tsp readymade pulp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Coconut - 1 tbsp dry and grated
- Oil - 3/4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Kala/ Goda masala - 2 tsp
- Jaggery (gud) - 2 tbsp
- When chana dal is cooked for making Puran poli, the water that stays on top of the cooked dal, is called 'kat'. Carefully pour it out in a separate vessel. Add 3 cups water to it. Many times it happens that the water gets used up when cooking the dal. In that case, add 1 tbsp Puran/cooked chana dal to 3 cups of water and mix well in a mixer. And use this as 'kat'.
- Soak tamarind in hot water. (Omit this step if using readymade tamarind pulp.)
- Roast 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tbsp dry grated coconut till it gets a brown color and a nice aroma, and grind into a fine powder.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a vessel, and add a. When they crackle, add 1/2 tsp hing(asfoetida), 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 bay leaf, 1" piece of cinnamon stick, and 4-5 curry leaves. Now add the 'kat'.
- Add salt and red chili powder to taste. Add 2 tsp Kala/ Goda masala.
- Squeeze out the tamarind juice from the soaked tamarind (or use readymade pulp) and add to the 'Amti'.
- Add about 2 tbsp jaggery(add only 1 & 1/2 tbsp if using puran for 'kat, as it already has some jaggery in it).
- Bring it to boil and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with 'Puran Poli' or white rice.