Moong Dal Khichadi Recipe
Moong dal khichadi is the best choice for a light, and a 'happy-tummy' meal. Moong dal is easy to digest and is also protein rich. You can make this khichadi soft and runny or a little drier, by adjusting the quantity of water that you add when cooking. You may also want to add small pieces of some veggies like carrots, bottle gourd (or lauki), green peas, or small florets of broccoli. Serve it with lemon pickle, and hot 'kadhi' or buttermilk.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Yellow split gram (Moong dal)* - 3/4 cup
- Vegetables (optional) - As per choice
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Vegetables of choice (optional) - As desired, finely chopped
- Mix and wash rice with moong dal* (yellow split gram).
- In a vessel, heat oil and add cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, and curry leaves.
- Now add the prewashed rice and dal. Stir fry for 2 minutes and then add 4 cups water (if you want your Khichadi a little on the dryer side, then add 3 cups water), salt to taste, and cumin powder**.
- Bring to boil and cook in a pressure cooker. Keep for 1 whistle and reduce the gas to low for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid after the pressure is released and serve hot with Kadhi, papad, and lemon pickle.
*You may also use 3/4 cup unpeeled green moong dal, which is healthier. Or you may also choose to use a mixture of 1/3 cup peeled and 1/3 cup unpeeled dal.
** Try adding 1/4 cup vegetables like carrots, string beans, or green peas too after adding the water.