Split Green Gram Dal Recipe (Mugachi Amti)
Green gram, whole or skinned, is a rich source of proteins with very low fat content. That makes it easy to digest and healthy too. It can be incorporated in many different forms in a vegetarian diet. Here is a soup - style recipe for this healthy lentil. It is called 'moong dal amti' in Marathi.
- Green gram (skinned and split) - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 1 tsp paste
- Green Chilies - 1/2 tsp crushed
- Thoroughly wash 1 cup moong dal and add 2 cups water to cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Simmer the gas after 1 whistle and let cook for 5 minutes. Then turn off the gas. Let the cooker cool to release pressure and then remove the dal.
- Whisk nicely to make it smooth. Add about 1 & 1/2-2 cups water. This dal is more liquid like a soup, rather than thick.
- In a vessel, add 4 tsp oil and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Add the dal, and reduce the heat to low. Add 1 tsp garlic paste and 1/2 tsp crushed green chilies. Add salt to taste.
- Be sure to stir frequently as moong dal easily sticks to the bottom of the vessel. Bring to boil and serve hot with rice or chapati.