Rajma or the red kidney beans, a very good protein source, are cooked to a perfect appealing taste, in this recipe. Rajma is very common in the Northern states of India. These red kidney beans are often available in two different shades in the market - light and dark. You can use either of the two, whichever is easily available. Here I have used the lighter ones. Although this recipe most commonly goes with plain white rice or Jeera rice, it can be equally enjoyed with hot roti or phulka.
- Red kidney beans (Rajma) - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1, chopped
- Tomato - 1 big chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch big piece
- Garlic cloves - 4 big
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Rajma masala or garam masala - 2 & 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Soak the red kidney beans (Rajma) in water for 5-6 hours. If you want it quicker, soak in boiling water and cover. Then it will be ready in an hour.
- Cook the soaked kidney beans in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and then keep on low flame for 1/2 hour. Let the pressure cooker cool down before you take out the beans.
- Grind the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to a fine puree, using a grinder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the pureed tomato, onion, ginger and garlic to it.
- Add rajma masala or garam masala and stir fry nicely till it turns brownish and oil starts separating from it.
- Add the cooked kidney beans and mix well. Add more water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring to boil and turn off the gas.
- Serve with chapati, phulka, or rice.