Rajma or the red kidney beans, a very good protein source, are cooked to a perfect appealing taste, in this recipe. Rajma is very common in the Northern states of India. Although this recipe most commonly goes with plain white rice or Jeera rice, it can be equally enjoyed with hot roti or phulka.
- Red kidney beans (Rajma) - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomato - 1
- Ginger - 1
- Garlic cloves - 4 big
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Rajma masala or garam masala - 2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Soak 1/2 cup red kidney beans (Rajma) in water for 5-6 hours. If you want it quicker, soak in boiling water and cover. Then it will be ready in an hour.
- Cook the soaked kidney beans in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and then keep on low flame for 1/2 hour. Let the pressure cooker cool down before you take out the beans.
- Grind 1 small onion, 1 tomato, 1" ginger, and 4 garlic cloves in a grinder.
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the gravy to it.
- Add 2 tsp rajma masala or garam masala and fry nicely till it turns brownish and oil starts separating from it.
the cooked kidney beans and mix well. Add more water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring to boil and turn off the gas.
- Serve with chapati, phulka, or rice.