Phodnicha Bhat Recipe
Phodnicha bhat is a special Maharashtrian recipe commonly made with left over rice. Adding a mild 'tadka' or seasoning (called 'phodni' in Marathi) to rice, fresh or leftover, gives a special taste to it. Added peanuts, green chilies, curry leaves and cilantro, make it flavorful and visually attractive too.
- Leftover rice - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Raw peanuts - 1 &1/2 tbsp
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 1 tbsp
- Green chili - 1
- Onion - 1 small
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - a small bunch finely chopped
- Break lumps and loosen out 1 cup leftover rice with hand.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 5-6 curry leaves.
- Add 1 &1/2 tbsp peanuts and 1 tbsp urad dal, and stir fry till pinkish brown.
- Add 1 green chili slit vertically and 1 small onion finely chopped and fry till it turns brownish.
- Reduce the gas to medium flame, add the rice, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp sugar and mix well.
- Stir fry for a minute and turn off the gas.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve.