Vatli Dal Recipe
Vatli Dal is a tasty Maharashtrian snack made with split chick peas or 'chana dal'. The chana dal gives it its unique piquant flavor and also makes it protein rich and healthy for breakfast or for snack.
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1 cup
- Green chilies - 4-5
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10
- Sugar - 1 &1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Coconut - freshly grated for garnishing
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - small bunch finely chopped
- Soak 1 cup chana dal in water for 5-6 hours. Drain all the water and wash the dal thoroughly.
- Add 4-5 green chilies and grind coarsely in a grinder or in a food processor. You may add some water if needed when grinding in a grinder.
- Pour in a vessel and cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Turn off the gas after 1 whistle. Take out the cooked dal after the pressure cooker cools down and spread in a plate to cool.
- Once cooled, break all the lumps with hand.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. When they crackle, add 1/2 tsp asfoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 6-7 curry leaves. Add the dal and reduce the heat.
- Mix well and add 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 &1/2 tsp sugar and salt to taste. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut and finely chopped coriander to serve.