Mixed Yellow Dal Recipe
Mixed yellow dal is an excellent mouth watering preparation that has four protein rich lentils. Very nutritious and spicy to enjoy with rice or any kind of bread.
- Split pigeon peas (Toor / Arhar Dal) - 1/2 cup
- Split and skinned green gram lentil (moong dal) - 1/4 cup
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1/4 cup
- Pink lentil (Masoor dal) - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilies - 2 vertically slit
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp finely grated
- Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Lemon / Lime juice (optional) - 1 tbsp
- Tomato - 1
- Cilantro/Coriander - small bunch finely chopped
- Mix 1/2 cup toor dal, 1/4 cup moong dal, 1/4 cup chana dal, and 1/4 cup masoor dal, and wash thoroughly. Add 3 cups water and cook in a pressure cooker for three whistles.
- After 3 whistles turn the gas to a low flame and let cook for 5 minutes before turning off the gas. Let the pressure cooker cool and then open the lid to remove the dal.
- Whisk the dal briefly and add water to get the desired consistency. I added 2 cups of water.
- In a pan add 4 tsp oil, and add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Add 2 vertically slit green chilies, 5-6 curry leaves, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 tsp ginger finely grated, and 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala.
- Stir fry on a medium flame till the garlic and the onion become golden brown.
- Now add the dal and add salt to taste. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and add 1 tomato cut into small pieces.
- Bring to boil.
- Garnish with fresh finely chopped cilantro/coriander.
- Serve hot with chapati/Roti or rice.