Aloo Tikki Recipe (Potato Patties)
Aloo tikki is an all time hit street food snack of North India. Eat tikkis alone or as Aloo tikki chat.
- For the Tikki filling
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder, - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- For the Tikki cover
- Potatoes - 8
- Bread - 3 slices
- Salt - To taste
- Soak 1/4 cup chana dal (gram) in 1 cup water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain all the water and grind coarsely in a grinder or a food processor.
- Cook the dal for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Turn off the gas after a whistle and let cool before removing the dal.
- Allow to cool and spread in a plate for complete cooling. Break all the lumps.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add all the processed dal. Mix well. Add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp amchur (dry mango powder), 1 tsp red chili powder, and salt to taste. Mix well and stir fry for 5 minutes on a low to medium flame, till most of the moisture is absorbed. Then turn off the gas and keep aside this filling.
- Boil 8 potatoes, peel and mash them.
- Take 3 slices of bread. Dip one slice in a bowl of water and squeeze out all water by pressing between palms. Add to the mashed potatoes. Repeat for all the bread slices. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Make 2" big balls with the potato-bread mixture. Take one ball at a time and make a depression in it and place about 1 tsp of the filling. Bring up on all sides and close at the top. Press gently with hands to make fat round balls. Repeat with all the balls.
Frying Tikkis :
- Heat a griddle (tawa) that has a concave surface.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in the center. Shallow fry all the Tikkis on the griddle, one or two at a time. Every time you add a new batch to fry, make sure that the level of oil on the griddle covers the sides, but does not cover the top surface of the Tikkis.
- Fry on both sides till golden brown. Remove on a paper towel to drain excess oil.