Black Eyed Bean Curry Recipe (chavlichi usal)
The black eyed bean curry forms a staple supply of proteins in a vegetarian diet. It is easy to make and healthy for the entire family.
- Black-eye beans - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 tsp Finely chopped
- Green Chilies or Red Chili Powder - To taste (optional)
- Salt - To taste
- Kala/Goda masala - 2 tsp
- Jaggery - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Coriander/cilantro - finely chopped for garnishing
- Lime / lemon juice - As per liking
- Wash 1 cup black-eye beans and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles reduce the heat to low and let cook for another 5 minutes. The turn off the gas.
- Remove the beans from the cooker after the cooker has cooled. Take 3 tbsp of the cooked beans in a small bowl, mash them, and add them back to the rest of the beans. This helps to thicken the gravy later. Mix well.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic and 1/2 tsp crushed green chilies (optional)
- Stir fry till the onion and garlic are golden brown.
- Add half of the chopped tomato pieces and stir fry for a minute till the tomatoes dissolve slightly.
- Now add the beans, and water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste, 2 tsp kala/goda masala, 1 & 1/2 tsp jaggery, and 1/2 tsp cumin powder. You may add crushed green chilies or red chili powder to taste.
- Bring to boil. Add the rest of the chopped tomato.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander/cilantro. Add a few drops of lemon to the serving bowl and serve hot with roti/chapati or rice.