Chana Dal Paratha Recipe
Chana dal paratha is a protein rich paratha when compared to other parathas that are usually made with vegetables. The spicy stuffing takes some time to prepare but can be kept ready well in advance.
- For Filling
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Garam Masala - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- For the dough
- Wheat Flour - 1 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1/2 tsp
For the filling :
- Soak 1/4 cup chana dal (gram) in 1 cup water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain all the water and grind coarsely in a grinder or a food processor.
- Cook the dal in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Turn off the gas after a whistle and let cool before removing the dal.
- Allow to cool and spread in a plate for complete cooling. Break all the lumps.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add all the processed dal. Mix well. Add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp amchur (dry mango powder), 1 tsp red chili powder, and salt to taste. Mix well and stir fry for 5 minutes on a low to medium flame, till most of the moisture is absorbed. Then turn off the gas and keep aside this filling. This filling can be made well in advance and it can be used up to a week, when stored in the refrigerator.
For the dough :
Mix 1 cup wheat flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp oil, and use water to knead into a soft dough, same as the Chapati dough.
- Take 2" dough ball and roll it to a 5" big circle. Place 3 tbsp filling on it. Bring together on all sides towards the center and firmly close at the top.
- Press gently with hands and roll into a 1/2-3/4 cm thick circle.
- Cook on a heated griddle on both sides till golden brown. Spread 1/4 tsp oil on both sides when cooking on the griddle.
- Serve hot with butter, yogurt and Coriander Chutney or Tomato Chutney.