- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Coconut Chutney Recipe
This coconut chutney goes extremely well with all South Indian foods like dosa, idli, wada, uttapam or upma. You can use freshly grated coconut or frozen coconut for this recipe. If using frozen coconut, remember to use hot water for grinding to help it blend nicely.
- Coconut - 1 cup freshly grated
- Curry Leaves - 4-5
- Split Yellow Peas (Dalia) - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp small sized (Rai)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/8 tsp
- Dried red Chilies - 2
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 1 tsp
- Finely grind 1 cup freshly grated coconut with 4-5 curry leaves, 2 tbsp dalia (split yellow peas) and salt to taste, adding water to get the desired consistency.
- In a pan, heat 2 tsp oil and add 1/2 tsp 'rai' (small size mustard seeds).
- When the rai crackles, add 1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida), 2 dried red chilies each cut into two,and 1 tsp urad dal.
- Stir fry till the urad dal becomes pinkish brown.
- Now turn off the gas and add the seasoning to the grated coconut.
- Mix well and serve with Dosa, Idly or Medu Wada.