Dadpe Pohe Recipe (Seasoned rice flakes with coconut)
Dadpe pohe is a very yummy snack of Maharashtra that is also quick to make. The snugly covered rice flakes give the recipe its name. 'Dadapne' in Marathi means 'to cover tightly and snugly'.
- Thin flattened rice flakes (Thin Poha) - 2 cups
- Onion - 3 tbsp Finely chopped
- Coconut - 2 tbsp Fresh grated
- Lime / lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2 vertically slit
- Curry Leaves - 4-5
- Raw peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Cilantro/Coriander - Finely chopped for garnishing
- To 2 cups of thin flattened rice flakes (thin poha), add 3 tbsp finely chopped onion, 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sugar, and salt to taste.
- Mix well and cover tightly. The cover should snugly cover the poha and there should be minimum space between the poha and the cover. Keep covered for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. After they crackle add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 green chilies vertcally slit, 4-5 curry leaves, and 2 tbsp raw peanuts. Stir fry till the peanuts become little dark in color.
- Now turn off the gas and add this seasoning to the covered poha.
- Mix well, garnish with some finely chopped coriander/cilantro and serve.