Dal Makhani Recipe
Black lentils with skin or 'chilkewali urad dal' is rich in proteins. And that makes 'Dal Makhni" an extremely healthy and delicious preparation that tastes awesome with chapati/roti or rice.
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 3/4 cup
- Whole masoor - 1/4 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) - 1/4 cup
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomatoes - 2 small or 1 big
- Garlic cloves - 1 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 & 1/2 inch piece
- Garam Masala - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cream or butter - 4 tsp + more as per liking and as needed
- Soak 3/4 cup black lentils with skin (chilke wali urad dal), 1/4 cup whole masoor and 1/4 cup red kidney beans (rajma) for 5-6 hours.
- After 5-6 hours, add 3 cups water and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and then reduce the heat. Keep on low heat for 15 minutes and then turn off the gas. Take out the dal after the pressure is released.
- Use 1 small onion, 2 small or 1 big tomatoes, 1 tbsp garlic cloves, and 1 & 1/2" big piece of ginger to finely grind and make a gravy.
- Heat 4 tsp butter in a pot and add the gravy. Add 1 & 1/2 tsp garam masala. Stir fry till the gravy becomes brownish and oil separates out at the edges.
- Add the cooked dal, red chili powder and salt to taste, and water to get the desired consistency. Bring to boil on a low flame.
- Add some butter or fresh cream on top to serve. Serve with chapati/roti or rice.