Dal Vada (Split Chick Pea Fritters)
Dal vadas are extremely delicious as a tea time snack or as an appetizer. They stay crunchy for a long time and can be enjoyed anytime with coriander chutney or ketchup.
- Split chick peas (Chana Dal) - 1 cup
- Green chilies - 4 medium
- Ginger - 2
- Garlic - 7-8 medium sized cloves
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - A small bunch finely chopped
- Salt - To taste
- Soak 1 cup split chick peas (chana dal) in water for 3-4 hours. Drain off all the water and wash the dal in running water.
- Use a food processor or a grinder to grind the dal coarsely along with 3 big green chilies, about 2" big piece of ginger, 7-8 big garlic cloves and salt to taste. Add minimum water needed.
- Add 1 onion finely chopped and a small bunch of coriander, also finely chopped, to the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying. Make small balls of the batter with hand or with a spoon and deep fry in oil till golden brown.
- Remove on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with green coriander chutney.