Instant Dhokla (Steamed gram flour dumplings)
This is an extremely easy recipe to make delicious 'Dhokla' in just a few minutes. Serve with the specially prepared green chilies (as given in the recipe below) and ENJOY!!
- Gram flour (besan) - 1 cup
- Citric acid or lemon/lime juice - Citric acid - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp and lemon/lime juice- 3 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) - small sized mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander/cilantro - Finely chopped for garnishing
- Green chilies - 4 big
- Mix 1 cup gram flour (besan) with 1/2 tsp citric acid or 3 tbsp lime/lemon juice. Add salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp), 2 tsp sugar, 1 & 1/2 tsp oil, and 3/4 cup water. Mix well with hands and do not leave any lumps.
- Grease the inside of a vessel (use a vessel with flat bottom, like the separator of a pressure cooker).
- Add 1/4-1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda to the gram flour batter above and rapidly whisk with one hand, making circular motion in one direction. This makes the batter fizz and froth up a little.
- Now quickly pour it in the oil coated vessel and keep in the pressure cooker for steaming (remove the pressure) for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the gas after 15 minutes, remove the Dhokla and keep aside for cooling.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp small size mustard seeds (rai) to it. After it crackes, add 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing) and reduce the heat to low. Add 3 tbsp water and bring it to boil. Then turn off the gas.
- Cut the Dhokla into 2" big cubes and add the seasoning on top.
- Let it stay for 5 minutes and then carefully remove each cube in a plate with the seasoned surface facing up.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander/cilantro and freshly grated coconut (optional). Serve with the specially made green chilies, as given below.
Special Green Chilies :
- Take 4 big green chilies and slit them vertically. Remove all the seeds inside, and add a pinch of salt inside each.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the green chilies. Stir fry on a medium flame for a few seconds and add 2 tsp lemon/lime juice.
- Cover and let cook till the chilies are soft. Turn off the gas.
- These specially seasoned chilies taste very yummy with Dhokla.