Lauki (Ghiya) Ke Kofte Recipe
Lauki ke kofte is a totally mouth watering preparation that will make this usually less favorite vegetable lauki, one of the most favorites.
- Bottle gourd (Lauki) - 1 cup Grated
- Gram flour (besan) - 4 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp + more for frying
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 2 Finely chopped
- Garam masala - 1 & 1/4 tsp
- Peel and grate one small size bottle gourd (lauki). Discard any big size seeds in the center when grating. The proportions given here are for 1 cup grated bottle gourd.
- Press between palms to squeeze out all the water.
- Add 4 tbsp gram flour (besan), 1/2 tsp cumin powder, salt and red chili powder to taste.
- Mix well and make small 1" big, round balls.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying and deep fry all the balls till golden brown. Remove on a paper towel and keep aside.
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, one onion finely chopped, 1/2 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp garlic paste and 2 finely chopped tomatoes. Add 1 & 1/4 tsp garam masala and stir fry till oil starts releasing along the edges.
- Add salt and red chili powder to taste (only for the masala as the koftas already have salt and chili powder in them). Stir fry for a minute and add 1/2 cup water.
- Add the fried kofta balls to the gravy. Gently mix and let cook for 2 more minutes on a low flame. Turn off the gas. Let the koftas soak well in the gravy for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
- Serve hot with roti/chapati/phulka or rice.