- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Masala Dosa Recipe
Masala Dosa is the most commonly prepared food from South India. It is really easy and quick to make once the batter is fermented. For good fermentation a hot and humid weather is ideal but during winter months, you can ferment it by keeping in some warm place like in an oven, near the gas, or other similar places indoors.
- For Dosa Batter
- Rice - 3 cups
- Flattened rice flakes (Poha) - 1/2 cup
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- For Masala
- Potatoes - 4 medium sized
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 3-4
- Green chilies - 3
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Salt - To taste
For Dosa Batter:
- Wash the rice a couple of times and add water to soak. The level of water should be atleast 1-1 & 1/2 inches above the level of grains.
- Add the poha and keep covered to let soak for 7-8 hours.
- Wash the urad dal couple of times and add water to soak it. Again let the level of water be at least 1 & 1/2 inches above the level of the lentil.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and cover.
- Allow to soak for 7-8 hours.
- Pour out the water used for soaking which can be then used, as needed, for grinding in the next step.
- Finely grind all the soaked rice (plus the poha) and the soaked dal (plus the fenugreek seeds) separately adding water (from step 6) as needed to grind.
- Mix the ground rice and the dal well.
- Keep covered in a tall vessel leaving enough space for the batter to rise.
- Keep the vessel in a warm place (best in bright sunlight) for 8-9 hours to ferment.
- The fermented batter rises to top and is all frothy. Mix well and add some water (about 1/4 - 1/2 cup) to make it thin enough to spread easily on a griddle, in the steps ahead.
- Add salt to taste and mix again.
- Boil 4 medium potatoes and peel them. Break them into small pieces, as shown below, with hands. Do not mash completely.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- When they crackle, add a pinch of asfoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 3-4 curry leaves, 3 green chilies cut into small pieces, and 1 small onion finely chopped. Stir fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and add salt to taste. Mix well and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat a griddle (preferably a nonstick griddle) and add 2 tbsp of the batter at the center of the griddle. With a ladle spread the batter in a circular motion gradually progressing towards the outside of the griddle, making a thin circle.
- Spread 1/2 tsp oil along the edges of the dosa and on the surface.
- Sprinkle some molga podi (gun powder chutney) on the dosa.
- Let cook till the lower side starts appearing golden brown.
- Add 2 tbsp potato masala at the center and fold on both sides to cover the masala.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.