- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Masala Idli Recipe
Masala Idli is an easy way to make the traditional idlis spicy and more tasty. You can use any left over idlis to make this recipe or you can make them fresh.
- Idlis - 4 left over or fresh
- Mustard seeds (rai) - 1/2 tsp Small sized (Rai)
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Rasam masala - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes - 2 finely chopped
- Salt - To taste
- Take 4 left over or fresh made idlis, and cut all into 1" x 1" cubes. If using fresh idlis, allow them to cool completely before cutting in to cubes.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp 'rai' (small sized mustard seeds).
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add a pinch of asfoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 4-5 curry leaves, and 1 tsp urad dal. Stir fry till the dal becomes pinkish.
- Add 1 small onion finely chopped, and 2 tsp rasam masala. Stir fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add 2 tomatoes finely chopped. Add salt to taste. Add salt only for the masala as the idlis already have some salt in them.
- Add the idli pieces and toss to mix. Let cook for a minute and then turn off the gas.
- Serve warm.