Punjabi Bhindi Recipe
Punjabi bhindi or okra is a spicy mouth watering recipe that goes very well with rotis or phulkas. This North Indian variaton of this yummy vegetable is extremely delicious and a sure hit with all kids.
- Okra (Bhindi / Lady's finger - 15-20 (1/4 kg)
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion - 1 small
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) - 1/2 tsp
- Thoroughly wash, and wipe dry 15-20 okras (1/4 kg), and cut each into 1" big pieces.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Add 1 small onion cut into thin long slices. Stir fry till the onion is slightly pinkish.
- Add the okra pieces and stir fry on a medium flame till the okra is soft and becomes slightly darker.
- Add salt and red chili powder to taste, and 1/2 tsp dry mango powder (amchur). Mix well and let cook for a few seconds.
- Turn off the heat and serve with roti/chapati.