Radish and Lentil Salad Recipe (Mulyachi Koshimbir)
White radish has a strong taste and a pungent smell. But it also has many health benefits. To include it in your diet, here is a very easy recipe to try. Squeezing out all the juice of the radish helps reduce the strong smell and the added yellow lentil (moong dal) and the lemon juice help to make it mild and tasty in flavor.
- White radish - 1 cup grated
- Yellow lentil (moong dal) - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
- Green Chili - 1 vertically slit
- Salt - To taste
- Coriander/cilantro - finely chopped for garnishing
- Lime / lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Soak 1 tsp yellow lentil (moong dal) in little water for 30 minutes.
- Grate white radish to make 1 cup. Squeeze between palms to drain out all the juice.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp cumin seeds. After they sizzle, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 1 green chili vertically slit. Stir fry for a minute and then add this seasoning to the grated radish.
- Drain off all the water from the soaked yellow lentil and add the lentil to the radish. Add salt to taste, 2 tsp lemon or lime juice, 1/2 tsp sugar and mix well. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with roti/chapati.