Samak ke Chawal and Amti (curry) Recipe (Varyache Tandul Amti)
Samak ke chawal are prepared using the barnyard millet or vrat ke chawal. They are suitable to eat on days of 'fast' or 'vrat'. They are always accompanied by a peanut curry called 'danyachi amti' and sweet lemon pickle.
- Samak rice (barnyard millet / vrat ke chawal) - 1 cup
- Coarsely ground roasted peanut powder* - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dried kokum (garcinia) - 3-4
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
For the rice :
1. Wash 1 cup samak rice (vrat ke chawal) and add 4 cups water to it.
2. Keep it on a medium flame for boiling.
3. Once the water is used up till level of the rice grains, reduce the heat to low and cover to cook till all the water is absorbed. Then turn off the gas.
For the Amti (curry) :
1. Take 1 cup roasted peanut powder and add water as needed to grind into a fine paste.
2. Add 3 cups water to it, mix well and keep aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Wait till they sizzle and then add 3/4 cup water.
4. Add 3-4 dried kokum pieces and bring to boil. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
4. Now add the peanut paste-water prepared in step 1 above. Reduce heat to low.
5. Add salt and red chili powder to taste.
6. Bring to boil on low flame stirring occasionally.
For Serving :