- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Sambhar Masala Recipe
This recipe for sambhar masala is extremely easy to make. This freshly made sambhar masala is sure to make your sambhar a hit with any south Indian foods.
- Coriander seeds - 4 tsp
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 3-4
- Cloves - 2
- Black peppercorn seeds - 10-12
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2
- Dried red chilies - 4
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Split chick peas (chana dal) - 1& 1/2 tbsp
- Black lentils (Urad Dal) - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) - 1 tsp
- Dry roast 4 tsp coriander seeds till they become little pinkish in color and a nice aroma is released. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 & 1/2 tsp oil and add 3-4 curry leaves, 2 cloves, 10-12 black peppercorn seeds, 1/2" cinnamon stick, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) and 4 dried red chilies cut into small pieces. Add 1 tbsp chana dal, 1 tbsp urad dal, and 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing) in the end. Stir fry till the dals become pinkish brown in color.
- Grind the coriander seeds and the other spices together in a grinder into a fine powder.
- Store in an air tight container.