- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Sooji (Semolina) Halwa Recipe / Shira Recipe
Sooji Halwa is a very easy and quick dessert that can be prepared last minute without much efforts. It is very delicious and loved by kids as a snack.
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - 4 tbsp
- Semolina (sooji) - 1 cup fine variety of semolina
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Almonds - 7-8 peeled and sliced
- In a pan heat 4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) and add 1 cup fine semolina (sooji) to it. Roast on a medium flame till the semolina starts tuning pink and a nice aroma is released.
- Add 3 cups near boil water to the roasted semolina and mix well till most of the water is absorbed in the semolina.
- Now reduce heat to low and cover to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, and a few raisins. Mix well and cover to cook for another 5 minutes.
- (This step is optional) Soak 7-8 almonds in 1/4 cup hot water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes you should be able to peel them. Cut the peeled almonds into thin slices and keep them aside.
- Turn off the gas (and garnish with the sliced almonds, if desired).
- Serve warm.