- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Bhindi Curry Recipe (Chinch Gulachi Bhendi)
Bhindi curry is a variation of the tasty vegetable that is known by many different names like Okra, Bhindi, or Lady's finger. This recipe of Bhindi curry has a Maharashtrian touch to it. Bhindi is often one of the most favorable vegetables among the kids. The sweet and sour taste makes it finger licking and delicious.
- Okra (Bhindi / Lady's finger - 15-20 pieces (about 1/4 kg)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dried Tamarind - 1
- Jaggery (gud) - About 2
- Kala / Goda Masala - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Red Chili Powder - To taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cut all okras into 1 cm big pieces.
- Soak 1" big piece of tamarind in some hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add all the cut okras and stir fry for 5-7 minutes till all the stickiness of the okras is gone and they are almost cooked.
- Now squeeze out all the juice from the soaked tamarind and add to the okras.
- Add about 1/4-1/2 cup water, salt and red chili powder to taste, 2 tsp kala / goda masala, and 2" piece of jaggery.
- Mix and cover to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and serve this delicious Bhindi curry with roti/chapati.