Vegetable Pulao (Mildly spiced Vegetable Rice)
This recipe of vegetable pulao is a very simple and mildly spiced version of a pulao. It is very easy to make especially if you have some frozen mixed vegetables handy. It tastes awesome with any pickle or with some soup for accompaniment.
- Rice - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 1 & 1/2
- Black pepper corns - 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cardamom - 4 Big sized (badi ilaychi)
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Onion - 1 small
- Choice of vegetables - 3/4 cup in all
- Salt - To taste
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Wash 1 cup rice and drain all the water.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 3 cloves, 1 & 1/2" big piece of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp black peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 4 big size cardamoms (badi ilaychi), and 2 tbsp cashew nuts. Stir fry till the cashews become evenly pink in color and then add 1 small onion vertically chopped.
- Stir fry for a minute and add the rice. Stir fry again for a minute and add any vegetables of your choice (3/4 cup in all), like small cut carrots, small cut string beans, green peas, corn kernels, and/or cauliflower florets.
- Mix well and add 2 & 1/2 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 1 tsp cumin powder.
- Bring to boil and let boil on a medium flame till the water is almost at the level of the rice grains.
- Now reduce the heat and cover till the rice is completely cooked and all the water is used up.
- Turn off the gas and serve hot with any pickle.