- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Vegetable Uttappa / Uttapam Recipe
Vegetable uttapam is uttappa with the added benefits of veggies. Be creative and add veggies of your choice to make this recipe more interesting to suit your liking.
- For preparing the batter use the same steps as for making the batter for Dosa.
- Prepare any or all of the following vegetables : Finely chopped onion, finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped green chilies, finely chopped coriander/cilantro, peeled and grated carrots, microwave cooked green peas, finely chopped green, yellow or red bell pepper.
- Heat a griddle, spread 1/4 tsp oil, and pour 4 tbsp batter in the center. Spread the batter gently in a circular motion towards the edges of the griddle, to make about 1/2 cm thick circle.
- Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle the vegetables of your choice. Gently press with a spatula so that the vegetables get embedded in the batter.
- Spread about 1/2 tsp oil along the edges of the uttappam and little on the surface. Cover and let cook till the wetness of the batter from the top surface disappears. Be sure to keep the gas flame at low-medium to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Flip to the other side, press gently, and let cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with the vegetable side facing up. Sprinkle some molagapodi on top and serve with coconut chutney and sambhar or rasam.
I found this great product on Amazon to quickly and consistently chop onions, tomatoes, green peppers etc.