- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Puffed Rice or Murmure Ka Chivda Recipe
Bhadang is a famous spicy snack of Sangli, Maharashtra. It is made from puffed rice or murmura and is a light tea time snack. You can use olive oil to make bhadang and make it healthier to eat. One of the ingredients that I have mentioned here is 'Metkut' which is a Maharashtrian dry powder and that can be prepared very easily at home. But if 'Metkut' is not readily available, it can be omitted from the bhadang recipe.
- Puffed Rice or murmura - 4 cups
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Metkut (Optional) - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 &1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10 finely chopped
- Raw peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Gently roast the puffed rice or murmura in a microwave or on gas with low flame for 1-2 minutes, to make them crunchy.
- Mix 2 tbsp oil with 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp metkut (optional), 2 tsp sugar, and salt to taste.
- Add the oil and spice mixture to the puffed rice and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add 1 & 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. After they splutter, add 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and finely chopped curry leaves.
- Add 1/2 cup raw peanuts and stir fry till the peanuts turn darker in color. Turn off the heat. Let this seasoning cool for a few minutes and then add to the spiced puffed rice.
- Mix nicely and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container.