Carrot Tomato Salad (Gajarachi koshimbir)
Carrot tomato salad is a very easy, quick, and healthy recipe to prepare. Serves as a very good last minute accompaniment to any meal. It is even faster to make if some roasted peanut powder is prepared in advance.
- Carrots - 3 finely grated
- Coarsely ground roasted-peanut powder* - 2 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Lime / lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Green chilies - 2 vertically slit
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - For garnishing
- Finely grate 3 carrots and add 2 tbsp coarsely roasted peanut powder* to it.
- Add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp lemon/lime juice. Mix well.
- Heat 1 & 1/2 tsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and 2 green chilies vertically slit. Stir fry for a few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add this seasoning to the carrots and mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve as an accompaniment with chapati/roti.*Dry roast some raw peanuts on medium heat till some dark spots appear on the skin. Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Crush with hands to remove the skin. Blow away all the peels and grind the peanuts coarsely.