Coconut Barfi Recipe
Coconut barfi is a delicious snack or dessert that is quick and easy to make. Just one piece at the end of any meal will make you content. You can use freshly grated coconut or frozen grated coconut for this recipe. Also try adding little mango pulp to make mango-coconut barfi that tastes awesome too!!
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - As per liking
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - Just a little for greasing
- Mango pulp (fresh or canned) - 1/4 cup (use only if making mango-coconut barfi)
- Mix 1 cup fresh grated coconut with 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tbsp milk, in a pot. (Also add mango pulp at this time, if making mango-coconut barfi.)
- Cook on a low-medium flame.
- Stir and turn continuously. Cook till most of the liquid part is gone and the coconut sugar mixture starts binding together in to a lump. It takes about 10 minutes for this to happen. If you have also added mango pulp it would take a little longer, about 15 minutes.
- Add some cardamom powder (do not add cardamom powder if adding mango pulp), mix and turn off the gas.
- Pour out in the center of a lightly greased (apply some ghee or clarified butter to grease) rolling board.
- Shape with hands and quickly roll into a circle about 1-2 cm thick, using a lightly greased rolling pin.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into uniform squares and serve.