Kokum Sharbat Recipe (Kokum Sarbat)
Kokum or amsul sharbat is a very soothing summertime drink. It has that unique, mild, and delicious flavor of the kokum fruit (amsul). Kokum is usually available in the market in the form of dry or wet pieces. Any form can be used for this recipe.
- Dry or wet kokum (amsul) pieces - 3 tbsp or 8-10 pieces
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Salt - To taste
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Soak about 3 tbsp (8-10 pieces) of dry or wet kokum in 1/2 cup hot water for 20 minutes.
- Use a grinder to grind it into a fine paste.
- Add 1 cup water, mix well and filter out the juice using a sieve. Discard the pulp.
- To the juice add 1/4 cup sugar and stir to dissolve all sugar. This makes the concentrated kokum sharbat that can be prepared well in advance.
- When serving, add 3/4 cup of this concentrated sharbat to 1/2 cup water. Add salt (if needed) to taste (keeping in mind that the kokum pieces already have some salt on them).
- Add 1/4 tsp cumin powder and serve chilled.