Stir Fry Flat Beans
Flat green beans come in many different varieties. The ones that I have used in this recipe are also known as spanish miralda beans. These are nice crunchy pods with very less strings. Stir fry flat beans is an easy recipe to cook and goes very well with roti or chapati.
- Flat beans or spanish miralda beans - 2 cups cut into small pices
- Bicarobonate of soda - A pinch or two
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Yellow lentil (moong dal) - 1 tbsp
- Salt - To taste
- Green chilies - 3 crushed or finely chopped
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - For garnishing
- Clean the beans by removing the strings along the edges. Wash them thoroughly and cut them into small pieces. Sprinkle a pinch or two of bicarbonate soda on the cut pieces and mix well. The soda helps to keep the green color of the beans even after cooking.
- Soak 1 tbsp yellow lentils or moong dal in little water for about 20 minutes.
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan and add a pinch of asafoetida or hing, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add the soaked moong dal after draining out all the water.
- Add the cut beans and mix. Add salt to taste and 3 green chilies crushed or finely chopped. Mix again and cover to cook on a low flame till they are 90% cooked. Remember to check and turn every 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp cumin powder. Mix and cover to cook completely.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti or chapati.