Ukadiche Modak Recipe
Ganesh Festival just cannot be complete without eating modaks. Ukadiche modak are a special kind of steamed modaks that are made with rice flour cover and a sweet filling of fresh coconut and jaggery. Enjoy this simple recipe and say "Ganapati Bappa Moraya!!"
- For the filling
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tsp + 1 tbsp for kneading
- Salt - A pinch
- For the filling
- Fresh grated coconut - 3 cups
- Jaggery (gud) - 2 & 1/4 th cup
- Poppy Seeds - 3 tsp roasted
- Cardamom powder - To taste
For the filling:
- Mix 3 cups of fresh grated coconut with 2 & 1/2 cup jaggery and keep on low heat to cook.
- Stir continuously till the jaggery dissolves and most of the liquid part gets absorbed.
- Add 3 tsp roasted poppy seeds, some cardamom powder to taste, and mix.
- Keep aside to cool.
For the cover :
- Keep a little more than 2 cups of water in a pan, add 2 tsp oil and a pinch of salt, and bring it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, reduce heat and slowly add all the rice flour while stirring continuously with the other hand.
- Mix well and cover to cook on a low heat for 2 minutes turning once in between.
- Turn off the gas.
- Prepare a mixture of oil and water by mixing 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp water.
- Add the oil and water mixture to the dough little by little and knead the hot dough nicely with a masher or using the back of a bowl, till it is soft and smooth.
- Keep this dough covered till it cools down to handle. This dough is known as 'ukad'.
- Once the dough has cooled off a bit, take about 1 & 1/2" big ball of the dough and use fingers of both the hands to shape it into a thin circle. Make creases/folds all along the edge.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp filling in the center.
- Bring together all the folds at the top and close firmly.
- Dip the modak in a bowl of water and keep in a lightly greased pan that can be steamed in a pressure cooker.
- Repeat with all the filling and the dough.
- Steam all modaks in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with some ghee.