Steamed Modak Recipe
Ganesh Festival just cannot be complete without eating modaks. Ukadiche modak are a special kind of steamed modaks that are made with rice flour cover and a sweet filling of fresh coconut and jaggery. Enjoy this simple recipe and say "Ganapati Bappa Moraya!!"
- For the cover :
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Oil - About 1 & 1/2 tbsp in all
- Salt - A pinch
- For the filling :
- Fresh grated coconut - 1 & 1/2 cups
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 & 1/4 th cup
- Poppy Seeds - 1 & 1/2 tsp roasted
- Cardamom powder - To taste
For the filling:
- Mix the grated coconut with jaggery and keep on low heat to cook.
- Stir continuously till the jaggery dissolves and most of the liquid part gets absorbed.
- Add the poppy seeds, some cardamom powder to taste, and mix.
- Keep aside to cool.
For the cover :
- Keep 1 cup of water in a pan, add 1 tsp oil and a pinch of salt, and bring it to boil.
- When it starts boiling, reduce heat and slowly add all the rice flour while stirring continuously with the other hand.
- Mix well and cover to cook on a low heat for 10-12 minutes turning once or twice in between.
- Turn off the gas.
- Prepare a mixture of oil and water by mixing 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp water.
- Add the oil and water mixture to the dough and knead the hot dough nicely with a masher or using the back of a bowl, till it is soft and smooth.
- Sprinkle some more water if the dough appears little dry, and knead again. This dough should be very soft and smooth without any cracks.
- Once the dough has cooled off a bit, take about 1 & 1/2" big ball of the dough and use fingers of both the hands to shape it into a thin circle. Make creases/folds all along the edge.
- Add about 1-2 tsp of the filling in the center.
- Bring together all the creases at the top and close firmly.
- Keep in a lightly greased pan that can be steamed in a pressure cooker.
- Repeat with all the filling and the dough.
- Steam all modaks in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with some ghee.