Kala Chana Curry Recipe (Harbharyachi usal)
Kala chana curry is a very healthy, protein rich curry that can be eaten with roti or with rice. The recipe I have shared is the Maharashtrian way of making it. It can be made in the North Indian style too using garam masala, instead of the Maharashtrian Goda Masala, and without any sweet taste of jaggery(gud).
- Bengal gram or kala chana - 1 cup
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - A pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Garlic - 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
- Potato - 1 boiled
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Goda / Kala masala - 2-3 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Jaggery (gud) - 1 tbsp
- Soak 1 cup bengal gram in water overnight.
- Drain all the water and add 2 cups of fresh water to it. Now cook in a pressure cooker for three whistles. Reduce the heat to low and allow to cook for 1/2 hour.
- Let the pressure cooker cool completely before removing the cooked gram from it.
- Boil 1 potato, peel and cut into small pieces.
- Heat 4 tsp oil and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add a pinch of asafoetida, and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic. Stir fry till they become golden brown.
- Add the cooked chana, potato, and water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt and red chli powder to taste, jaggery, 1 tsp cumin powder and 2-3 tsp kala masala.
- Allow to boil for a few minutes and then turn off the heat.
- You may garnish it with some fresh and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.