Chivda is an all time favorite light tea time snack. The recipe shared here uses flattened rice flakes or poha. I have also used some rice puffs but you can skip those and use only poha instead. Also I have used microwave to make the poha and murmura crunchy. You may roast the flakes as well as the murmura in a pan, on gas with low flame, for 2-3 minutes.
- Thin flattened rice flakes (Thin Poha) - 2 cups
- Puffed Rice or murmura (optional) - 1/2 cup
- Raw peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Dalia (Split Yellow Peas) - 1/4 cup
- Ginger - 1
- Salt - To taste
- Powdered sugar - (1 tbsp or to taste)
- Green chilies - 2-3 cut into small pieces
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 8-10 finely chopped
- Transfer the rice flakes and the puffed rice to a microwave safe container or plate. Spread into an evenly thick layer.
- Heat in a microwave for about 2-3 minutes, turning every minute, till the flakes become crunchy. (Remember that time may vary depending on the microwave power!)
- Add salt and powdered sugar and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- After they crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chilies, curry leaves, ginger, and peanuts, in the same order.
- Stir fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat and then add the cashews.
- Keep stir frying till the peanuts become darker in color and cashews turn brownish.
- Now add the dalia and stir fry for a minute before turning off the gas.
- Allow this to cool a little for 5 minutes and then add to the crunchy rice flakes and the puffed rice.
- Mix well.
- Serve warm and fresh or allow to cool completely and store in an air tight container.