Lemon Pickle Recipe
By Uma Abhyankar January 12, 2016
Pickles of any kind always add a special flavor to any meal. The lemon pickle is one of the most common pickles, often kept available in any household. I learned this recipe of lemon pickle from my mother-in-law. So it has that motherly, traditional, authentic, and finger-licking taste. :)) You may want to add some green chili pieces too, along with the lemon pieces, but in that case rememberto skip adding the red chili powder. Although no oil is added, the pickle stays good for up to one year. I always store the original bigger jar in the fridge, to be on the safe side, and take out only a small portion of the pickle in a smaller jar to keep at room temperature for everyday use.
- Lemons - 5-6 big sized
- OIl - A few drops
- Fenugreek (Methi) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Skinned and split mustard seeds - 3/4 tbsp
- Salt - As mentioned in the steps below
- Sugar - If required
- Wash all the lemons thoroughly and dry them with a kitchen towel.
- Cut them into small cubes of any size you like.
- Divide all the lemon pieces into 6 equal heaps.
- Measure salt equal to one of the heaps and keep aside.
- Grind the skinned mustard seeds to a fine powder.
- Heat a few drops of oil in a small pan, and add the fenugreek seeds. Roast on a low-medium heat, till they turn reddish brown in color.
- Remove them from the pan and turn off the heat.
- Now to the same pan, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, and mustard-seeds-powder. Roast in the hot pan (with the heat off) just for a few seconds.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds to a fine powder.
- Tansfer all the lemon pieces to a mixing bowl and add all the roasted ingredients (fenugreek powder, asafoetida, mustard-seeds-powder, and turmeric powder).
- Add the measurerd salt and red chili powder.
- Toss lightly to mix, and keep in a plastic or glass jar for 2 complete days (48 hours).
- On the third day, the pickle would have released lots of water. Mix it well and taste a bit to check if it is very sour.
- If it is sour, add little sugar, otherwise transfer it to the jar again and store in the refrigerator for up to a year.
- Serve with any meal of roti, rice, parathas, and so on.