Whole Masoor Dal Recipe (Masoor chi Usal)
Rich in proteins, whole masoor dal is extremely healthy and delicious to eat with roti or rice. Try this easy recipe either with a Maharashtrian touch, using the Maharashtrian Goda masala, or in the North style using garam masala.
- Whole masoor - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Aasafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 4 medium size, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 cut into small pieces
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- Goda masala/Kala masala or garam masala - 2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves - A small bunch, finely chopped
- Wash 1 cup whole masoor in water.
- Add 2 cups water to it and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. After 3 whistles, reduce the heat for 5 minutes and then turn off the gas.
- Heat oil in a pot and add mustard seeds. After they crackle, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, garlic and onion.
- Stir fry till the onion and garlic become brownish in color.
- Add only half of the tomato pieces, and stir fry for a minute. (If adding garam masala, add with the tomatoes and stir fry for a minute.)
- Add the cooked masoor and water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt, cumin powder, red chili powder, and Kala/Goda masala (Add kala masala only if you haven't added garam masala.)
- Bring to boil, turn off the heat, and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.