Kaju Pista Roll Recipe
Kaju Pista roll recipe is a fine Indian sweet that is very delicious and irresistible. The outer cover is made with cashews and is ivory in color, while the filling is made with pistachios that make it yellowish green from inside. You may add some green color to the filling to make it more attractive. The outer cover could be a little tricky to make. But I am sure with the steps and pictures included here, you will be able to make it very easily.
*In this recipe I have also added some milk powder for it's flavor but it is completely optional to use. You can omit milk powder and remove the steps using it from the recipe, if you want only the flavor of cashews.
- For the filling
- Green Pistachio - 1/4 cup
- Powdered sugar - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - A pinch
- Milk - 1/2-1 tsp
- Green color (optional)
- For the cover
- Cashews - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2/3 cup
- Milk Powder (optional) - 3 tbsp
- Clarified butter (Ghee) - Little for greasing hands
For the filling:
- Grind the pistachios into a slightly coarse powder.
- Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder, and little green color (optional).
- Mix and add milk little by little with a small spoon and knead to form a smooth dough of the filling.
- Divide it into 4 equal parts and cover to keep aside.
For the cover:
- Grind all the cashews into a fine powder.
- Dry roast the milk powder for just a minute and keep aside.
- In a pan, add about 1/2 cup water to the sugar and bring it to boil.
- Continue to boil while stirring it.
- Check the sugar solution by taking a small drop between your thumb and index finger and stretching it. It should form one string.
- As soon as this happens, reduce the heat to low.
- Add the powdered cashews and cook by stirring continuously till it becomes thick and hard to turn. Now turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to another bowl and add the milk powder.
- Mix well, initially with a spoon, and when it cools enough to handle with your hands, knead it to form a smooth dough. Apply little ghee to your hands before kneading.
- Take half of the cashew dough (keep the other half covered) and roll between your palms to make a ball, and press to flatten.
- Roll on a rolling board lined with a parchment paper, into a thin circle (about 1-2 mm thick).
- Cut it to make two semicircles.
- Take 1 part of the filling and make a long roll with it.
- Keep the filling along the cut side of one of the semicircle.
- Now snugly roll from the cut end, around the filling, to reach the other end.
- Repeat with the other semi circle and the second part of the filling.
- Cut the 2 kaju pista rolls into small pieces of about 2" long.
- Repeat from step 1 again for the other half of the cashew dough and the rest 2 parts of the filling.