Ragda Pattice Recipe
Ragda Pattice is a popular street food of India, and one of the many 'chaat' recipes. Ragda is a special curry made with white peas while pattice are small round cutlets made with potato. It is a very delicious snack which is quite filling too.
- For Ragda:
- Dried white peas (watana) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 chopped into big cubes
- Tomato - 1 chopped into big cubes
- Ginger - 1-1 & 1/2
- Garlic - 4-5 big cloves
- Garam Masala - 3 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder (optional) - To taste
- Oil - 4 tsp
- For Pattice:
- Potatoes - 5 Big, boiled and peeled
- Salt - To taste
- Red chili powder - To taste
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 2 & 1/2 tbsp
- Oil - For shallow frying
- To serve:
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 finely chopped
- Sweet and Sour Tamarind Chutney - As desired
- Coriander chutney - As desired
- Sev (gram flour fritters) - As desired
- Soak dried white peas in water overnight.
- Drain off all the water after soaking and add 1 & 1/2 cups fresh water. Add salt and cook in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle, and then reduce the heat to low for 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Remove the peas from the cooker after the pressure is released.
- Grind the onion, tomatoes, garlic, and ginger in a grinder to make a fine gravy.
- Heat 4tsp oil in a pan and add the gravy.
- Add the garam masala and red chili powder (optional).
- Stir fry till it becomes dark in color and oil is separated.
- Add the cooked white peas, mix and bring to boil. (Add more water, if desired, but do not make it very thin.)
- Mash the boiled potatoes.
- Add all purpose flour, salt and red chili powder to taste. Mix nicely.
- Take a small portion at a time and shape it into small round pattice, about 2" in diameter. Repeat for all the potatoes.
- Heat a griddle that has a little concave surface. Add little oil in the center and place 2-3 pattice in the oil.
- Allow the lower surface of the pattices to become golden brown in color and then flip to the other side.
- Allow the other side to become golden in color too.
- Repeat for the rest of the pattices.
- Keep 2/3 warm pattice in a plate and add little hot ragda on top as well as all along the sides. (If you have prepared the pattice in advance, warm them by keeping on a hot griddle for a few minutes, before serving. Also the ragda has to be piping hot.)
- Garnish with finely chopped onion, finely chopped tomatoes, sweet tamarind chutney (as much as desired), coriander chutney (as much as desired), and finally some sev.
- Serve immediately to enjoy the best taste.