Tomato Omelette Recipe
Tomato omelette is a quick recipe that can serve as a wonderful snack or breakfast. Made mostly with gram flour or besan, this purely vegetarian omelette is a delicious preparation that can be eaten with any green chutney (coriander chutney or mint chutney) or with ketchup.
- Gram flour (besan) - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 1/3 cup
- Ginger - 2 inch big piece, crushed into paste
- Green chilies - 3 medium or to taste, crushed
- Oil - 3 tsp for the batter and some more for spreading on the griddle
- Salt - To taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion - 1 small finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 big finely chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves - A small bunch finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, mix 1 & 1/2 cups gram flour and 1/3 cup rice flour.
- Add 3 tsp oil, salt to taste, turmeric powder, ginger paste, and crushed green chilies.
- Add water slowly while mixing continuously to avoid forming lumps.
- Add enough water (I added 1 & 1/2 cups) to make a slightly thick batter (just like a dosa batter).
- Add chopped onion, tomato and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Heat a griddle, and keep on medium heat.
- Sprinkle little oil in the center of the griddle and pour about 1/4 cup of the batter on it.
- Spread with the back of a spoon to make an evenly thick circle (about 1/2 cm thick).
- Cover and allow to cook till there is browning along the edges, on the lower surface.
- Flip over to the other side and allow the other side to get little brown spots too (for about a minute).
- Serve hot with green coriander chutney or mint chutney or with ketchup.